Saturday, January 10, 2015

Volunteering So Far

Hello all,
  I hope you have had a terrific holiday, and at least a tolerable first week back to hustling and bustling.  For those of you on Immersion, I also hope you've enjoyed that so far.  I have completed my first week of volunteering at schools  (In many countries, including Bangladesh, the work week spans from Sunday till Thursday.)  I would like to use this entry to tell you about my feelings so far.
For some background information, the central organization I am working with is called JAAGO Foundation, a civil service organization founded by law school graduate Korvi Rakshand who was only 21 years of age at the time.  About one-thirds of the school supplies collected by the Miami Valley School have been distributed here. JAAGO translates roughly to 'wake up', as the goal is to wake children up by means of good education and provide them with opportunities they wouldn't have otherwise.  The organization has become very successful, with eight school scattered around Bangladesh serving approximately 1600 students.  The branch I am working in, located in a district called Banani, has 264 students from Pre-school till Grade 2.  Apart from education, JAAGO has raised awareness in many other causes including hygiene, proper nutrition, and women empowerment. A major event of theirs is Universal Children's Day, usually hosted in November, in which over 10000 volunteers raise awareness for children's rights. For more information, visit: jaago.com.bd.
Logo
The other organization I am working with less directly is called Sathee Samaj Kalyan Samity, which translates to 'social welfare of the people'.  The remainder of the school supplies we've gathered has been donated here, including the six or seven backpacks.  SSKS was established in 1986, and since then, 575 children have completed primary school from either of the two locations, the original being in Banani and the other being in a district called Mirpur. I visited the school in Banani yesterday, which, as of now, has 436 students from kindergarten till fifth grade.  Like JAAGO, Sathee Samaj Kalyan Samity also has many other causes in human welfare. For more information, visit: www.satheekalyan.com.
SSKS
Logo
On Wednesday, we had a late start at around eleven am.  It took a while for the driver to find the school, and we had to keep rolling down our windows to ask people how to get to the Banani branch of JAAGO.  About half the people knew what we were referring to, which is a fairly widespread name. All of them seemed to redirect the call like magnets did a metal ball, and we were finally on the stretch of main road closest to the school. As I was walking through the chaotic alleyway, I felt a traditional blend of wonder and worry. It was very liberating.  Sone of the things I saw included dogs roaming around freely, a rickshaw this close to running over people, and two street children fighting. What I want to let go of is being an alienated observer, as if I am a scientist with a magnifying glass looking at a colony of ants.  I am not above my surroundings: I am of them.
When I stepped in the school, I stepped in nothing less than a sanctuary amidst a hellhole. JAAGO does a great job in maintaining their schools. With me was my mother, my little brother Sahir, my cousin Raeed, and my great aunt Kajol.  It was of course hard for me to open up at first: my mother did most of the talking to the education coordinator, Ayesha Rahman. The language barrier played a role in it as well. Overall, however, I believe I struck a chord of agree-ability and mild-manneredness with the staff there.  The children enthusiastically received me once I introduced myself.  The first class I visited was a second grade class of twenty-three students. Prior to that, I witnessed them learn Roman numerals in the computer lab, where I shook hands with some of them.  They all stood up when I walked into the classroom with the education coordinator.  After a few moments, I said, "Hello. My name is Ahsem Kabir. I study in class 11 in the United States." as I wrote my name on the board. I spoke in mixed Bengali and English, which they understood.  My understanding of Bengali is proficient, however, I am not a very good speaker.
One of them responded, "'Ahsem' is a very beautiful name!"  I was flattered and caught by surprise, as I do not particularly like my name. All I could say to this was "thank you" in a pleasant voice.
Me with the STD-2 children
That day in English class, they were going over a spelling test, and talking about common occupations in Bangladesh.  The word list was impressive, with items such as 'Hinduism', 'environment', and 'Christmas'.  I copied down the class rules in the notebook where I take notes on life.  They are very similar to the rules you would find in second grade class rooms across the United States: "raise your hand", "be on time", and "no cheating" just to name a few.  I also wrote down some of the components of the discussion in a scattered form.  One thing I wrote was that being a mother is the most difficult job, because you always worry and don't sleep.
I also visited STD-1 later that day and introduced myself, along with two other guests: Caitlin, a manager of academics, and her husband Babak.  This class acted similarly.
The next day in the STD-2 class, we read a short story called 'Tom Thumb', which has the same plot as 'Hansel and Gretel', except there is no witch involved.  I read a few words, and they followed. Afterwards, nearly all of them raised their hands to read or answer each of the eight reading comprehensions.  It was nothing short of heartwarming. The person who was called on stood up to answer, and even asked me if he or she could sit down.  I told them they didn't need to ask me.  These children didn't seem to be bothered by struggles of authority, like I was at their age: they were just excited.  That day, they wrote all of their names on a sheet of paper so I could remember them.  I even received two new year cards:
Reading 'Tom Thumb'
New Year Cards
I said I would talk about my feelings, and one thing I was feeling was a bit bossy, as if it wasn't fair that I had authority over these kids, when I am a kid myself.  When I was younger, I would always get indignant when I was treated like a doll, or when someone called me 'cute'.  The last thing I want is to become that someone. I'll give you an example.  When I was in sixth grade, a group of high school students walked by me in the hallway, and one girl said, "They're so tiny!" as if I wasn't even there, like a zoo animal.  I wanted to do something about it, but if I did, they probably would have laughed, like "aww, it's insulted!" I have experiences and authority struggles too, you know.  You're not that much bigger than me, so don't talk down to me like that.  As a teacher, I want to be aware that children may be having these mentalities as well.  The moral of this story is to never look down upon those smaller than you, and treat everyone with respect.  I'll try to do that.  I think it's going well so far.
Me with SSKS class five
Later that day, with my grandmother, I visited grades 3-5 of Sathee Samaj Kalyan Samity to introduce myself and distribute some of the supplies.  The children here were shier: about as shy as me.  But my grandmother works with this school, so that made it a little easier, since she did some of the talking.  We gave out a backpack to the student with the highest average score in each grade. (For those of you with XX chromosomes, you receive a point today.  The highest scorer in every grade was a girl.  Rejoice!)  One fifth grade girl was embarrassed when the teacher told her to smile when I was handing her the backpack, as the class broke out in laughter. It was funny.
Giving the backpack
I would like to thank everyone who has made this possible.  I've had a great time so far.  Right now, I have to go prepare a presentation on the history of cars, so I think I'll close this blog entry.  If you would like, leave a comment describing your winter break or Immersion, and don't forget to check out the youtube channel raeedzz.

Until next time,
  Ahsem Kabir

Images from:
http://www.fivefeathersclothing.com/site/about/let_them_fly.aspx
http://satheekalyan.com/

1 comment:

  1. A good teacher: In my mind, effective communication, a sense of possession of authority in the authority but without its presence felt to those who is supposed to receive it is the key in effective teaching. I remember my teachers and what I was taught. I learned from each of them which I would call, "learning by addition and deduction". If I felt something is bad than I would say, "I am not going to learn from that and I will not repeat it for myself " and if I saw something good, I would copy that. Both of the process is learning though. This is like this: copy this, don't copy that. A person is made of mosaics of different learning, some of his own and his preferences. Every time I do something I remember my teacher from whom I learned it. A good student always turns the tide towards him out of good or bad.The power of good teaching is such that it touches everyone equally. You want to be the teacher from whom everybody learn rather than only good ones who learn from you. Teaching is a two way street. In that context inability to take the opportunity of learning from each side from the other would equal to unsmartness. Wait a minute.. Is there a word called unsmartness? Anyway, you understand what I mean. Each of the student will take something from the teacher to use it in their daily living, The good teacher makes sure that the student takes the positive one. They are copying you, positive or negative way.
    My heart goes out to the student who did not get a bag because of lacking of a good score. Unfortunately we can not afford good things for everyone. At least not yet or should we? Hopefully a good student will work harder to qualify for a bag next time.
    Your writings are thought provoking from where I learn something and make me feel like writing. Thanks for teaching...I wish you all the goodness in life. I pray for your strong ability and power. The power to do good and not to bring fear, so that people depend on you to bring independence for themselves and get rid of uncertainty for them in every aspect imaginable.

    ReplyDelete